Sexual/Domestic Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program
The SANE Program seeks to reduce the physical and psychological trauma of sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic violence victims through sensitive and timely medical examinations performed by specially trained nurse examiners and through the collaboration of the interdisciplinary community response teams. SANE stands for sexual assault nurse examiner. CHI Health’s SANE Program has specially trained nurses in crisis intervention that provide:
- Injury detection and treatment
- Health care pertaining to sexual assaults (sexually transmitted infection screening, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception)
- Forensic medical evidence collection
- Domestic violence crisis intervention
- Testimony in judicial proceedings
- Community resource connection
The program has expanded throughout the Omaha/Council Bluffs metropolitan area as well as Grand Island. CHI Health in Omaha now has five emergency departments where victims can be seen for sexual assault, domestic violence, and/or human trafficking. SANE nurses also respond to inpatient and outpatients units throughout the health system as necessary. This ensures that every victim has the opportunity to receive the collaborative efforts necessary for healing.
CHI Health SANE nurses provide services at all emergency department locations. There is a dedicated SANE room at the emergency department locations listed below.