Several CHI Health Maternity Centers offer water birth, during which mom-to-be labors and sometimes delivers in a birthing pool filled with warm water. CHI Health offers this option at St. Elizabeth, Good Life Birth Place in Lincoln and at Immanuel in Omaha.
What are the benefits of water birth?
- Increased relaxation
- Decreased pain and reduced need for anesthesia
- Potential decease in duration of labor
- Greater sense of control
Water birth is not recommended if you have or had:
- Previous difficult labor or C-section
- Chronic medical condition (hypertension, diabetes or herpes)
- Pregnancy complication (gestational diabetes or preeclampsia)
- Baby in breech position
- Multiple babies
- Preterm labor (more than two weeks ahead of your due date)
Because water births are still being researched and expert opinions vary, it’s best to discuss this option with your OB/GYN or midwife.