Several CHI Health Maternity Centers and Birth Centers offer water birth, during which mom-to-be labors and sometimes delivers in a birthing pool filled with warm water. CHI Health offers this option at CHI Health St. Elizabeth, CHI Health Birth Center at Lincoln and CHI Health Birth Center at Immanuel.
What are the benefits of water birth?
- Increased relaxation
- Decreased pain and reduced need for anesthesia
- Potential decrease in duration of labor
- Greater sense of control
Water birth is not recommended if you have or had:
- Previous difficult labor or C-section
- Chronic medical condition (hypertension, diabetes or herpes)
- Pregnancy complication (gestational diabetes or preeclampsia)
- Baby in breech position
- Multiple babies
- Preterm labor (more than two weeks ahead of your due date)
Because water births are still being researched and expert opinions vary, it’s best to discuss this option with your OB/GYN or midwife.