Individual education and instruction is offered for Diabetes patients.
CHI Health offers comprehensive diabetes education classes and individual instruction at all CHI Health hospitals in metro Omaha and Papillion in Nebraska, and at Council Bluffs, Corning and Missouri Valley in Iowa. Diabetes Education is intended for individuals who:
- are newly-diagnosed.
- have changes in their treatment plan.
- are planning for a pregnancy.
- need help with their diabetes during pregnancy.
- were previously diagnosed and their diabetes is out of control.
- new to insulin.
Most participants will start with an individual visit with a diabetes educator to review their history and if needed, help the person start blood sugar monitoring.
An individual visit will also be scheduled with a registered dietitian for a diabetes meal plan, also called "Medical Nutrition Therapy". Complete diabetes education is provided either in classes or individually depending on the person's needs.
Most people who are newly-diagnosed attend group diabetes classes. Follow-up training and individual instruction is available for:
- Gestational diabetes (diabetes with pregnancy)
- Insulin instruction
- Special needs, including those with vision, hearing and physical disabilities, and language access.
How to register
Your physician's office staff should fax the referral form to the location you wish to attend and order either individual or group education.
The diabetes education services will be billed similar to other healthcare tests or procedures. Medicare and many insurance companies cover the costs of diabetes education (diabetes self management education) and nutrition counseling (Medical Nutrition Therapy). Check with your insurance company to see if diabetes education and nutrition counseling is a covered service.
You'll need a doctor's referral.
With the exception of the Pre-diabetes class, your doctor needs to order Diabetes Education classes for you. If you don't have a primary care physician, we can help you find one near your home or where you work. If you have questions regarding obtaining and order please call (402) 717-3422.
Questions? Contact Us
- CHI Health Clinc Underwood: (402) 398-6312
- Bergan One Professional Center: (402) 717-3422
- Lakeside Two Professional Center: (402) 717-3422
- CHI Health Missouri Valley: (712) 642-9294
- CHI Health Immanuel: (402) 717-3422
- CHI Health Mercy Corning: (641) 322-6267
- CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs: (402) 717-3422
- CHI Health Midlands: (402) 717-3422