Bariatric Surgery Program
Ready to begin your life-changing journey? We can help!
What is your risk? Get personalized feedback about your weight risks, learn about the possibilities to take control of your weight, and get help from the most experienced experts in the region.
The Best Choice for Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery is usually for people who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above, or those who have a BMI of 35 or above with other conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease or sleep apnea. CHI Health Immanuel's Bariatric Program is a Comprehensive program. That means our weight loss surgery program is:
- Conducted by Board-Certified surgeons
- A fully Accredited MBSAQIP Bariatric Surgery Program
- A multidisciplinary team
- Medically monitored to ensure safe and effective weight loss
- Your one point of contact from insurance approvals, to pre- and post-surgery appointments, to long-term maintenance support
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic procedures for all surgeries
- Collaborations with other specialties
- Bi-monthly educational seminars for program candidates
- Monthly post-operative patient support groups
- Long-term patient follow-up with educational and nutritional support
New to the CHI Health bariatric program is our program app which allows patients easy access benefits like:
- Tracking Nutrition
- Seminar to Surgery Checklist
- Tracking Exercise
- Tracking Weight Loss
- Vitamin & Supplement Reminders
- Bariatric Surgery Education
- Diet Guidelines
- Food/Water Timer
Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
Those who are candidates for bariatric surgery typically fall into the below categories:
- Adults who have a BMI over 40
- Adults with a BMI between 35 and 40, who have obesity-related medical complications, such as diabetes, heart disease, or sleep apnea.
- Those who have failed to lose weight by non-surgical means (weight loss programs, diets, etc). Some insurance companies may require documentation of participation in at least one weight loss program.
- Those willing to commit to a lifelong change of proper diet, exercise, and medical follow up.
For patients in Kearney, NE we do offer initial steps of the program to be completed with Dr. Moeller. Learn more about this opportunity.
To receive more information and be contacted by our staff, sign up here.
Weight Loss Surgery Support Groups
Our monthly support groups provide a secure, warm setting for patients undergoing the process of lifetime diet and lifestyle changes that can improve surgery outcomes and are necessary to achieve enduring weight loss.
Support sessions have been shown to directly increase the chances of short- and long-term patient success following bariatric surgery. Regardless of where a person is in relation to the bariatric surgery process, he or she is welcome to attend the sessions.
The support group meets monthly with a new topic for education. *Registration is not required however there will be a sign in sheet upon arrival. If you should have any questions please contact the CHI Health Weight Management team at (402) 572-3684.
Bariatric surgery support groups are available at:
- CHI Health Immanuel - Third Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. in the Immanuel Conference Center (backside of CHI Health Immanuel)
- CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs - First Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. in the Mercy Medical Building Two, Room 206