Hepatologists focus on disorders of the liver and help you to clinically manage several hepatic disorders including common conditions such as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and viral hepatitis. At CHI Health, you might be referred to a Hepatologist if you suffer from diseases and complications related to liver disease and viral hepatitis.
Millions of U.S. adults suffer from liver diseases. The liver is the largest organ in the human body. It is also one of the most important ones. The biliary system consists of the bile ducts, gallbladder, and pancreas -- all closely associated with the functioning of the liver.
Some liver, biliary, and pancreatic diseases are congenital (present at birth). Others can be prevented. In any case, whether these diseases are congenital, injury-related, viral-induced, or alcohol-induced, they can be devastating to a person's health and require medical care.
Many disorders of the liver require clinical care by a physician or other health care professional. Contact our hepatology team at (402) 717-9800 or fill out our form so that our referral specialist can contact you.
Conditions We Treat
Our team of hepatologists treat many conditions, including:
- Acute Liver Failure
- Alcoholic Liver Disease
- Alpha 1 Antitrypsin deficiency disease
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Chronic Liver Disease / Cirrhosis
- Elevated liver enzymes/abnormal liver tests
- Hepatitis B and C
- Liver Tumors
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Primary biliary cholangitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Wilson Disease
Our hepatologists are participating in several clinical trials:
- Two clinical trials on patients with severe fatty liver disease (or non alcoholic steatohepatitis): one evaluates NASH patients without cirrhosis (regenerate trial) and the other is for patients with cirrhosis (reverse trial)
- Phase 2 clinical trial on patients with primary biliary cholangitis
- Clinical trial evaluating eight weeks of treatment for patient with cirrhosis from hepatitis C genotype 3