Breast cancers are potentially life-threatening malignancies that develop in one or both breasts. Certain risk factors can increase the chances of developing breast cancer:
- being older than 55
- being a woman
- family history of breast cancer
- genetic factors
- previous radiation to the chest
- first period at an early age (before 12 years old)
- starting menopause late (after 55)
- dense breast tissue
Your care team at CHI Health will include:
- Cancer Medical Team: multi-disciplinary team of highly skilled professionals who treat more cancer patients than any other health care provider in Nebraska.
- Nurse Navigator Program: A single point of contact who will be there with you every step of the way.
- Clinical Trials: Studies are available for cancer control, cancer prevention and cancer treatment.
- Renewed Hope Boutique an appearance-enhancement program designed to help you cope with some of the physical side effects of cancer treatment.
Breast Cancer Treatment
We understand this is a difficult time for you and your family. That’s why we offer a variety of treatment programs to all of our oncology patients in the CHI Health system.
Depending on the type and stage of your cancer, your surgery may be a lumpectomy (when the surgeon removes the tumor from the breast) or a mastectomy (when the surgeon removes the entire breast). At your request, a plastic surgeon may also be involved.
Your nurse navigator will meet with you before surgery to answer any questions you may have. If you wish, a chaplain will also meet and pray with you.
CHI Health is committed to advancing cancer treatment through research. One way we do this is by offering our patients the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. By joining a clinical trial, you’re ensuring your experience is used to help others in the future. Search open clinical trails.
Chemotherapy uses chemicals to target cancer cells in the body. These chemicals generally inhibit the cells’ ability to divide, or reproduce. Chemotherapy may be the sole treatment method, or it may be used in combination with surgery and radiation.
Radiation therapy targets cancer cells using radiation beams. Computerized treatment-planning programs allow us to direct radiation at a tumor from multiple angles, thus targeting the cancer cells and minimizing damage to healthy tissue. CHI Health offers radiation treatment that is close to your home, family and friends.
Our job is to help patients heal not only physically but also emotionally and spiritually. CHI Health takes a holistic approach, offering a complete range of support services designed to promote all aspects of healing. Learn more about available support groups.
1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer, so early detection is key. That's why the CHI Breast Centers offer technology and staff specifically dedicated to your breast health and well-being in a beautiful space that is welcoming and comfortable. Services include a clinical exam and mammogram. Schedule a mammogram.