Students and Graduates
Student Job Shadow Program
Thank you for your interest in the CHI Health Job Shadowing Program
Please read the following carefully and thoroughly.
The CHI Health Job Shadowing Program is designed to provide high school and college/university students 16 years of age and older, an observational opportunity to:
- Learn from our exceptional professionals,
- Explore health care careers,
- Increase awareness of the skills required, and
- Experience our health care culture.
You will be paired with a health care professional to observe and interact as they conduct their daily work. You will be able to observe and ask questions; this is not an opportunity to have hands-on patient care.
Job Shadowing experiences are scheduled and coordinated on an individual basis in 2 or 4 hour increments. The duration depends on the schedule of the health care professional and you. Experiences are only available during daylight hours.
- Clinical Engineering
- Environmental Services
- Food Service
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician/Advanced Practice Clinician
- Radiologic Technology
- Speech and Language Pathology
- Sports Medicine
If your chosen location/hospital does not offer one of these areas, we will work to accommodate your needs at another location or department.
How to Apply
The Job Shadowing Application is automated. The application must be completed in one sitting and only completed applications will be reviewed.
You will need the following to complete your application:
- Up-to-date immunization records. For experiences between October - May, you will be required to have an up to date flu shot. Proof of a flu vaccination is required if you want to schedule a Job Shadowing experience October 1 through May 1.
- Complete the online Job Shadowing Orientation.
- Parents of minor-aged students will be required to complete the parental consent form, sent to the email address provided in the student application.
- Allow 4 weeks from the application submission to the date of the Job Shadowing experience, for example; if you would like a placement on July 4, your application must be submitted by June 4.
- Finally, complete your application online:
Note: International students must complete the Non-Employee Application Process.
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Information
- HIPAA is a federal privacy law to keep patients medical information confidential.
- HIPAA regulations affect every CHI Health staff member, and all volunteers and job shadowing students.
- These regulations apply to you.
- Realize a hospital is not like other places of work.
- It is crucial a customer or patients' information is kept confidential to maintain their trust.
What do I need to understand…what exactly does this mean?
- This means CHI Health employees have a legal duty to protect a patient’s privacy.
- It is a patients' right to be treated confidentially at CHI Health.
- It is also very important a patient knows their privacy is protected.
- If a patient feels they cannot trust CHI Health; they may withhold important information.
- If a patient withholds this information, a doctor will not have all the information to correctly diagnose the patient.
- During your shadowing experience, you are expected to keep any and all information you learn about a patient confidential.
- DO NOT discuss patient information with anyone.
- If you have any questions about what is and what is not appropriate to share and talk about, please ask a CHI Health employee.
- We want to make sure you have the proper information to handle all the situations you will encounter during your job shadowing experience.
There are Consequences!
- CHI Health and you, are required by law to keep a patient’s information confidential.
- Consequences for violations can range from $100 in fines to jail time.
Conduct and Behavior
- Personal cell phones must be turned off during the job shadowing session. If you have a significant family situation, please advise the Host.
- Professional, courteous and respectful behavior is expected. Students should be aware of and adhere to CHI Health’s Core Values.
- Students must stay with assigned staff or host at all times.
- Students must leave valuable possessions at home. CHI Health is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items.
- Out of respect for our patients, loud voices and laughter is discouraged. Students are guests.
- Students are prohibited from taking any photographs.
Participant Dress and Grooming Standards
Students must be identified with a name tag. Students must be dressed appropriately. Failure to comply with the stated dress code standards will result in dismissal from the Job Shadowing experience.
- Clean, professional, business-casual attire
- Shirts must have a collar
- Dress slacks or khakis
- Closed-toe comfortable shoes with socks/stockings
Unacceptable attire includes:
- Dangling jewelry
- Sandals or flip flops
- Exposed undergarments
- Tank tops or bare midriffs
- Baggy clothes
- Colored undergarments visible through clothing
- Blue-jeans, shorts and sweatpants
- Hats unless worn for religious, medical or safety reasons
- T-shirts w/personal beliefs/unprofessional wording
No Money Clause
No payment will be offered to the student/observer for time spent shadowing under this agreement. Students/observers must abide by the rules, regulations and policies of CHI Health and shall work under the direction of the applicable Department Director or their appointed staff.
Our first priority is always to protect the health and safety of CHI Health patients. If you are sick or infectious the day of the scheduled Job Shadowing session, you will need to reschedule with the Host.
While shadowing at CHI Health you acknowledges CHI Health is not responsible for medical coverage due to illness or injury. Insurance or personal payment for medical care is the responsibility of the student/observer or your parents (if applicable).
Documentation of Job Shadowing Experience
If documentation is needed to validate your shadowing experience, please obtain a form from your high school or college/university. CHI Health does not provide validation forms. The CHI Health staff or host can sign-off on the documentation form provided by the student.
Approval and placement will be considered after the completed Job Shadowing Application has been received. For minors, the Parental Consent online form must also be completed before a CHI Health professional is contacted. A paper copy of the Parental Consent form can be downloaded.
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
How old do I have to be to participate?
Job Shadowing experiences are available to high school and college/university students 16 years or older. CHI Health does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veterans' status or age.
I completed the Job Shadowing Application. When will I be contacted?
Our goal is to have the local Champion or Host contact you by phone or email within one calendar week of application receipt, but we ask for some grace when applications are submitted over the weekend or major holidays.
How far in advance do I need to submit my application?
The Job Shadowing Application should be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the desired date of the experience.
What happens after I have submitted the Job Shadowing application?
Provided your application is received at least four (4) weeks prior to your desired Job Shadow experience date(s), your application is forwarded to a local Job Shadowing Champion who will determine who to forward. The Host will contact you to schedule a date and time and inform you where to meet.
We are able to accommodate a limited number of individuals each month, so requests are considered on a first come, first serve basis. Provided a health care professional is available in the area where you have requested an observation, you will be contacted one to two weeks prior to the Job Shadowing experience to confirm your participation.
I am younger than 19, do I need to have my parents’ consent?
Yes. If you are 19 or younger a parent or legal guardian is required to complete the Job Shadowing Parental Consent form which is automatically generated when you complete your application. If your parent does not have an email address, you can download the paper form here.
Return a scanned copy to: CHIhealth.firstname.lastname@example.org
What type of “hands-on” learning will be involved?
None! The Job Shadowing experience allows you to follow and observe only.
Will I be paid for the Job Shadowing experience?
No. Job Shadowing experiences are unpaid observation opportunities.
When is it necessary to provide documentation of a flu vaccination?
Proof of a flu vaccination is required if you want to schedule a Job Shadowing experience October 1 through March 31.
What do I need to wear to the Job Shadowing experience?
Specific details regarding the dress code are detailed in the “Participant Dress and Grooming Standards” section above.
What should I do if I become sick the day my Job Shadowing experience is scheduled?
Contact the Host you coordinated with and stay at home. We will make every effort to reschedule your experience. Students who arrive for their Job Shadowing experience and are visibly ill will not be allowed to participate and will be sent home immediately.
Are there certain areas that do not accept Job Shadowing experiences?
As a general rule, Emergency/Trauma departments are excluded; however, each location determines the departments available for job shadowing experiences.
If I develop a communicable disease within 48 hours of my job shadowing experience who should I contact?
(This would include Chicken Pox, Influenza, Measles, Tuberculosis, MRSA, or a high fever).
Please notify us as soon as possible by contacting your Host or CHIhealth.email@example.com. It will be necessary for us to take the necessary steps to protect our patients and prevent an outbreak.
Where should I park?
If you are driving to your Job Shadowing experience you should park in the parking lot. If you will be dropped off go to the main entrance of the facility, unless directed otherwise.
Where do I go the day of my Job Shadowing experience and who will meet me?
Your CHI Health Host will share with you depending on your location.
For additional questions please email us at CHIhealth.firstname.lastname@example.org