Medical Records

If you need a copy of your medical records, please call to request a release authorization form. A copying fee may be required to complete your request.

Please allow up to two weeks for the fulfillment of a copy request for your personal records.

Birth Certificates

After the birth of your baby, a birth registrar will work with you to obtain the necessary information to file an official birth certificate with the State of Nebraska. Please make sure all information collected is correct. If you find an error or change your mind about the spelling of your baby’s name after the information has been submitted, you will be charged a fee to amend the birth certificate.

Birth certificate information must be filed within five business days of your baby’s birth. If your baby is born on a weekend or holiday and you are discharged prior to the next business day, we will contact you by telephone to arrange a time to complete the birth certificate filing. If you do not have a phone at your place of residence, please call our office the first business day after your dismissal to provide the required information.

You will be able to apply for a certified copy of your baby’s birth certificate approximately one month after we submit the information to the state. The certified copy will include the Nebraska state seal and will be required when registering your child for school and filing for other legal documents. You may submit the application online at the Nebraska Health & Human Services System website.

Your Baby’s Name

If you have not provided a name for your baby within the required five business days, your baby’s name will be submitted as “Baby Boy” or “Baby Girl” with the mother’s last name (as listed on forms filed during admission for delivery). You will then be required to submit the appropriate paperwork and fee to the State of Nebraska to have your baby’s birth certificate amended.

Hospital Certificates

St. Mary’s will provide you with a keepsake hospital certificate containing information regarding your baby’s birth. This certificate does not replace the State of Nebraska Certificate of Live Birth.

Provided your delivering physician is available to sign the hospital certificate, you should receive the certificate approximately ten days after you have provided the birth registrar with all required information.

Newborn SSN Application

To obtain a Social Security number for your baby, hospital staff will ask you for permission to forward the information gathered for your baby’s birth certificate to the Social Security Administration (SSA). The SSA will issue the Social Security card four to eight weeks after the birth of your baby. If you do not receive your baby’s Social Security card within this timeframe, you can contact the SSA directly at (800) 772-1213.

If you do not grant permission for information to be forwarded to the SSA, it will be your responsibility to obtain a Social Security number for your baby in the future.