Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Physical medicine helps restore movement and function to rehabilitation patients.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
CHI Health Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation specialists help restore movement and function to people disabled by disease or injury. PM&R physicians, called physiatrists, create therapy plans that consider the unique needs, abilities and objectives of each patient. Physiatrists work closely with a team of physical therapists, occupational therapists and other rehabilitation professionals to develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Our goal is to help every individual maximize functional performance and achieve independence and community integration. Our methods involve an interdisciplinary team that works to increase function, decrease pain and disability, and maximize performance at work, in school, during recreation and in all other areas of life.
What is Physiatry?
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) is also called physiatry - a medical specialty that deals with the evaluation and treatment of patients with a disease, disorder, or injury that impairs normal function. Physiatrists treat various musculoskeletal (muscles and bones), neuromusculoskeletal conditions, and neurological (nervous system) disorders, including conditions such as arthritis, stroke, deconditioning, post-surgical care, back pain, work- and sports related injuries, and brain or spinal cord injuries.
How can PM&R help me?
PM&R can help patients with chronic disease, pain (including back), sport injuries or disabilities toward optimal function, thus improving recovery and quality of life. Physiatrists diagnose and treat problems of the musculoskeletal system, including back and neck pain, spinal cord injury, and other conditions. With the use of physical agents and therapeutic exercise, rehabilitation can help patients in the following ways to:
- reduce pain
- improve quality of life for those with temporary or severe impairment
- learn how to use assistive devices (e.g., braces, wheelchairs, etc.)
Clinical Areas of Expertise
- Amputee Rehabilitation
- Back and Spine Conditions (Disc herniations, spinal stenosis, arthritis)
- Botox Injections
- Fluoroscopically (x-ray) guided injections
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Facet Blocks
- Sacro-iliac Joint Injections
- Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA)
- Neck and Back Pain
- Nerve Conduction Studies /Electromyography (NCS/EMG)
- Neurological Disorders
- Inpatient and Outpatient
• Spinal cord injury
• Brain injury
- Inpatient and Outpatient
- Non-Operative Care of Back and Spine Conditions
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) injections with ultrasound guidance for tendonitis and soft tissue injuries
- Sports and Musculoskeletal Injuries (arthritis and tendonitis)
- Trigger Point Injections
- Work Injuries/Worker’s Comp Injuries
Accredited Inpatient Rehab Programs at CHI Health
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain Injury
- Comprehensive Inpatient