Can I use my laptop, phone, or other electronic devices?
- Yes you may use electronic devices. However, while the electronic device is plugged into the wall try to use them minimally. This can create some disturbances with the EEG recording. While the device is plugged in we ask that you have it sitting on your bedside table and not in your lap.
May I sit in the recliner or on the couch?
- Yes you may unless otherwise directed by the neurologist. Staff will usually confirm this with the neurologist first. Please call for assistance before getting up yourself. You have multiple cords attached to you and for your safety we do not want you to trip and fall.
Can I take a shower while I am here?
- Unfortunately, you will not be able to shower during monitoring because of all the electrodes on your head. However, staff will be able to assist you with getting wash cloths and water so you can get cleaned up and change clothes.
Can family or friends bring me food during my stay?
- Yes, your friends and family can bring you in food and snacks.
What do I wear?
- We recommend wearing comfortable, button-down clothing and shorts or sweatpants. Hospital gowns are available if needed.
Why do I need an IV?
- Every admitted patient will have an IV placed. This is for your safety in case the need for rescue medications arises. Some individuals have altered awareness with their seizures or events and become unable to swallow pills. An IV makes it easier and quicker to give the patient their medication.