Education and instruction options for Diabetes patients.
Diabetes and Your Health
At CHI Health Clinic, we are committed to improving the health of people at risk for diabetes or those living with diabetes.
In partnership with your physician, our diabetes educators provide a variety of outpatient services at most CHI Health locations. A physician referral is required for individual instruction, group classes, nutrition therapy and gestational education. Check with your insurance company to see if Diabetes Education is a covered service.
Insurance and Billing
CHI Health Clinic accepts most health insurance plans. We ask that you bring your insurance card and insurance company filing address. If your insurance program requires a co-payment, we will collect it at the time of check-in.
Diabetes Education: Group
If you are newly diagnosed with diabetes or have been diagnosed in the past, the classes will help you improve your diabetes control. Classes are taught by a registered nurse or dietitian, pharmacist and exercise specialist.
- What is diabetes?
- Types and contributing factors
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Treatment options
- Nutrition and meal planning
- Medications and insulin
- Preventing and managing high and low blood sugar
- Preventing and managing complications
- Learning to live with diabetes
- Goal setting and life style change
Diabetes Education: Individual
While group class is our most comprehensive program, Individual instruction is also available for any of the group topics. Together with your diabetes educator, you can develop your best plan.
Our Gestational Diabetes Education program will assist you with your special diabetes management needs during pregnancy. The program consists of:
- Nutrition education including an individualized meal plan - one or more sessions with the registered dietitian
- Self-management education including blood sugar monitoring, sick day care, target blood sugars - one or more sessions with a diabetes educator.
Diabetes Support Groups
People living with diabetes and their families are invited to learn more about diabetes at our support group. A variety of guest speakers provide information about the latest in diabetes care. All schedules are subject to change, call for dates. There is no cost for attending. To get more information about support groups contact (402) 717-1CDE (1233).