At Cancer Care at St. Elizabeth, our mission is to support our patients physically, emotionally and spiritually in their journey to recovery. We are committed to making a difference in our patients’ lives through our programs, services and personal care. Everyday, we live our mission by providing clinical excellence in a healing environment and empowering patients. If you have any questions about our services, please call the Cancer Center at (402) 219-5000.
Louise D. Schleich Women’s Health Center
Our Louise D. Schleich Women’s Health Center offers more than mammograms. You have the convenience you need, comfortable amenities you deserve and compassionate experts who focus completely on you.
If breast cancer enters the picture, our multidisciplinary team creates an individualized plan for you during a single session. You will walk out of the meeting with a written roadmap for the journey ahead. And our dedicated nurse navigator stays with you from the first visit through the last treatment – which can be completed in as little as two months.
CHI Health St. Elizabeth Cancer Screening Clinic
Patients of the Cancer Screening Clinic may have a family history of cancer or be a cancer survivor at high risk for recurrence or a secondary cancer. Conveniently located on the main level of the hospital next to the Infusion Center. Parking is available on the west side of the hospital in front of the Cancer and Radiation Therapy Center. Hereditary cancers such as breast, colon, uterine, ovarian, melanoma, pancreatic, and prostate often need surveillance. Our clinic helps patients:
- Understand their risk for cancer
- Determine if they are a candidate for genetic testing, which help them and their families understand their risk for inherited cancer
- Schedule recommended cancer screenings
- Make healthy lifestyle changes, such as diet, exercise, and smoking cessation,which can help minimize their risk for cancer
Call (402) 219-5080 for information about the clinic.
At CHI Health St. Elizabeth, we giving patients hope by providing the latest cancer-fighting advancements and a robust team to help you through every stage of cancer care.
Precision is the key to destroying cancer cells. Our radiation oncology team will determine the best treatment for you with a goal to spare healthy tissue surrounding your tumor and minimize side effects. Our services include:
External Beam Therapy
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy and stereotactic radiosurgery (SBRT/SRS)
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
- Real-time surface guided radiotherapy (SGRT)
- Respiratory gating, deep inspiration breath hold
- High dose rate brachytherapy (HDR)
- AccuBoost (breast boost)
Precise Radiosurgery Suite
Our truly personal approach combines an expert team with the latest radiation therapy technology. Fast and effective, this new radiosurgery offers you quick cancer treatment-without compromising precision or quality. It expands our ability to quickly and aggressively treat your tumor and minimizes any risks to surrounding healthy tissue.
Learn more about radiation oncology services offered at CHI Health.
Our infusion center offers a tranquil, healing environment, and our experienced team makes treatment as stress-free as possible by providing knowledgeable, compassionate care.
Individual treatment areas have adjustable lighting, a flat-screen television and room for family and friends. A refreshment bar offers complimentary beverages and warm blankets. Private rooms are available for more peace and care.
Our experienced oncology nurses guide and support patients through their cancer diagnosis, treatment and recovery. Nurse navigators will:
- Answer questions about your diagnosis and the available treatment options
- Discuss any warning signs or symptoms that may arise over the course of treatment and recovery
- Coordinate your care with any other healthcare providers, such as rehabilitation, home care and support groups
- Help remove any barriers that stand between you and comprehensive cancer care
Several challenges can be caused by cancer and cancer treatment. The rehabilitation team includes physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists and lymphedema therapists – all working together to help with the many issues and side effects of cancer treatments.
Our oncology rehabilitation team can help with many issues and side effects of cancer treatments including:
- Acute and chronic pain
- Fatigue, during and following cancer treatments
- Neuropathy (numbness/tingling in hands and feet)
- Speech, swallowing difficulties
- Cognitive difficulties
- Range of motion or tightness
Our oncology social worker is specially trained to help you cope with your cancer diagnosis and find the support you need to manage the daily challenges of living with cancer. They help you address the emotional, financial and practical challenges related to your cancer and connect you resources in the community.
Other Support Services
- Nutrition counselor
- Pastoral Care
- Cancer outreach coordinator
- Support groups and classes
Survivorship Care Plans
While most cancer survivors will lead healthy, active lives, some may develop problems related to their cancer and its treatment. As cancer patients transition into life after treatment, a Survivorship Care Plan serves as a communication tool between survivors and health care providers. The plan provides patients and primary care physicians with a comprehensive treatment summary and wellness plan that focuses on the long-term needs of the survivor. Our Survivorship Care Plans are created by our experienced cancer nurse navigators. The comprehensive plan includes:
- Contact information on your team of doctors
- Detailed treatment summary
- Symptoms to watch for to detect cancer recurrence
- Recommended cancer screening and other examinations, and the schedule on which they should be performed
- Information on possible late and long-terms effects of treatment
- Recommendations for healthy behaviors such as diet, exercise, and smoking cessation
- Directory of support services
Our detailed Survivorship Care Plan keeps patients and their health care providers informed and aware of any long-term health concerns.