Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is a safe, non-invasive treatment that is effective in treating depression.
TMS treatment has proven to be successful in changing the lives of those suffering with depression throughout the country and is available at CHI Health, in Omaha, Nebraska, the region’s leader in behavioral health.
What is TMS Therapy?
- TMS is an FDA-cleared non-invasive medical treatment for patients with depression who have not benefited from initial antidepressant medication.
- TMS uses highly focused magnetic pulses to stimulate the areas of the brain thought to control mood. This specific area of the brain has been identified as underactive in people who suffer from depression. TMS Therapy causes neurons to become active, leading to the release of neurotransmitters to relieve the symptoms of depression.
- Each treatment involves the gentle placement of the magnetic coil against the patient’s head. Treatment takes less than an hour and is conducted in the clinic, five days a week, for approximately four to six weeks. Patients are awake and alert during the procedure and are able to resume normal activities upon leaving the treatment session.
What are the benefits of TMS Therapy?
- TMS Therapy is free of side effects typically experiences with antidepressant medications. The most common side effect associated with TMS Therapy is minor discomfort at or near the treatment area.
- In clinical trials, after 4 to 6 weeks of treatment, one in two patients improved significantly, one in three were free of symptoms without medications.
Is TMS Therapy right for you?
- Are you taking medications to treat your depression?
- Are you still depressed despite your medication?
- Are you experiencing side effects from your medication?
- Have you switched medications more than once due to side effects?
- Are depression symptoms interfering with your leisure activities or relationships with your family and friends?
- Are depression symptoms having an effect on your ability to earn a living?
If you answered YES to two or more of these questions, please talk to your provider about if TMS Therapy may be an option to treating your depression.
Physicians Who Use TMS Depression Therapy
Arun Sharma, MD
Psychiatry and Geriatric Psychiatry
CHI Health Psychiatric Associates
7101 Newport Avenue
Immanuel THREE Professional Center, Suite 203
Omaha, NE 68152
Phone: (402) 572-3472