Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation TMS is a safe, non-invasive treatment that is effective in treating depression. TMS treatment has proven successful in transforming the lives of people with depression across the country and is available from CHI Health in Omaha, Nebraska, the region's leader in behavioral health.
What is TMS therapy?
- TMS is an FDA-approved non-invasive medical treatment for patients with depression who have not benefited from initial antidepressant drugs.
- TMS uses highly focused magnetic pulses to stimulate the areas of the brain thought to control mood. This specific area of the brain is underactive in people who suffer from depression. TMS therapy causes neurons to become active, leading to the release of neurotransmitters to relieve the symptoms of depression.
- Each treatment involves the gentle placement of the magnetic coil against the patient's head. The treatment lasts less than an hour and is conducted in the clinic, five days a week, for about four to six weeks. Patients are awake and vigilant during the procedure and can resume their normal activities after leaving the treatment.
What are the advantages of TMS therapy?
- TMS therapy is free of side effects typically associated with antidepressant medication. Its most common side effect is mild discomfort at or near the treatment area.
- In clinical trials, half of patients improved significantly after 4 to 6 weeks of treatment, and a third of patients were symptom-free without medication.
Is TMS therapy right for you?
- Do you take medication to treat your depression?
- Are you still depressed despite your medication?
- Do you experience side effects from your medications?
- Have you changed medication more than once due to side effects?
- Do symptoms of depression interfere with your leisure activities or relationships with family and friends?
- Do symptoms of depression affect your ability to earn a living?
If you have answered YES to two or more of these questions, please talk to your provider about whether TMS therapy could be an option for treating your depression.
Physicians Who Use TMS Depression Therapy
Arun Sharma, MD
Psychiatry and Geriatric Psychiatry
CHI Health Psychiatric Associates
7101 Newport Avenue
Immanuel THREE Professional Center, Suite 203
Omaha, NE 68152
Phone: (402) 572-3472