Eating Healthy and Still Gaining Weight?
They parade as healthy foods, but can really be junk food in disguise. If you’re eating what you think is a “good for you” diet, yet still gaining weight, take a closer look at these could-be imposters:
- Energy/granola bars Healthy? Not dipped in chocolate. Watch for added calories.
- Microwave popcorn Uses unhealthy trans fats to make them pop.
- Pretzels High in salt. And dipping, to make them palatable, piles on the calories.
- Sushi Fried and/or filled with mayo (saturated fat)? Find a different roll.
- Dried fruit & sports drinks Contain alarming amounts of added sugar.
- Smoothies & yogurts Only with fresh fruit, nonfat yogurt and no added sugar.
- Salads Great on their own, but toppings will get you in trouble calorie- and fat-wise.
- String cheese and whole grain crackers
- Hard-cooked egg and a slice of whole wheat toast with a half teaspoon of margarine
- Low-fat cottage cheese topped with diced pepper and tomato
- Cut-up fruit or vegetables with nonfat yogurt dip
- Whole wheat pita filled with hummus