Good Samaritan Announces 2018 Healthy Community Award Winners
June 04, 2018
The ninth annual Healthy Community Awards, sponsored by CHI Health Good Samaritan of Kearney, Nebr., recognizes contributions of those who, through their leadership, education, and assistance, make Central Nebraska a healthy place to live. Continuous volunteer efforts throughout the Kearney community and Buffalo County are necessary to encourage healthy living among residents and provide a higher quality of life. The Healthy Community Awards program provides a unique opportunity to celebrate those achievements.
A community advisory group selects winners, based on their contributions, in six categories from nomination received each year. This 2018 CHI Health Good Samaritan Health Community Award winners are:
- Education - Tasha Keiter Memorial Youth Golf Fund
- Advocacy - The Friends Program
- Prevention - Kearney Noon Rotary
- Recreation - Kearney Sertoma Club
- Leadership - Stan Clouse
- Partnership - Central Nebraska Rehabilitation Services
The awards will be presented on June 14 at a luncheon at Good Samaritan in conjunction with Community Olympics weekend June 22-24.
About the Healthy Community Awards
The Healthy Community Awards recognize area residents and organizations for their work in developing programs that make Central Nebraska a healthier place to live. An advisory committee oversees the Healthy Community program. The program is presented by CHI Health Good Samaritan. This is the ninth year for the awards program.
The Healthy Community Awards include a total of six categories: advocacy, prevention, recreation, education, partnership, and leadership. The advisory committee selects award recipients based on their contributions in a particular category.
- Advocacy is awarded to the group or individual who has creatively implemented health improvement or awareness programming on behalf of a specific population.
- Prevention is awarded to the group or individual who has provided a service or program that makes a significant contribution to preventing injury, illness or disease.
- Recreation, presented by Kearney Park and Recreation Department, is awarded to the group or individual who has shown outstanding leadership in organized sports—youth or adult—in the community.
- Education is awarded to the group or individual who has provided health education opportunities and is an advocate of health within the community.
- Partnership is awarded to the group or individual who has actively partnered with CHI Health Good Samaritan to provide health services in the community.
- Leadership is awarded to the group or individual who has shown outstanding leadership in the community by preventing, promoting or protecting health issues.
2017 winners were:
- Advocacy - Central Nebraska LOSS Team
- Education - Kay Glidden
- Leadership - Paul and Kim Rahe
- Prevention - Pleasanton School
- Recreation (presented by Kearney Park & Recreation) - Dr. Marta Moorman
- Partnership (presented by Good Samaritan) - City of Kearney