Losing a Few Pounds? 8 Reasons to Celebrate
December 06, 2017
You don’t have to achieve jaw-dropping weight loss to enjoy significant health benefits. Shaving 5 percent off the scale – or 10 pounds if you weigh 200 – boost your overall wellness in these 8 ways:
- Joints: Reduce the impact on your knees and other joints by 40 pounds of pressure. That decreases aches and pains and reduces the likelihood of arthritis later in life.
- Heart: Trim your blood pressure by 5 points, and potentially lower your LDL or “bad” cholesterol while increasing your HDL or “good” cholesterol.
- Sleep: Gain an extra 21.6 minutes of sleep a night, according to one research study. Lower weight also means less tissue at the back of your throat, which reduces the likelihood you’ll experience sleep apnea.
- Diabetes: Prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes, or reduce the need for diabetes medications while better controlling your blood sugar levels.
- Cancer: Lowering your weight reduces the level of hormones – estrogens, insulin, androgens –linked to cancer.
- Inflammation: Belly fat cells release chemicals that irritate and inflame tissues throughout the body and are linked to arthritis, heart disease and stroke. Slimming at the waist reduces these risks.
- Depression: Improved mood continued 24 months after a 5-percent weight loss, according to a research study.
- Fertility: Improved rates of conception were found in a study of obese patients who lost 5 percent of their weight.
July 13, 2019 - Dr. Kevin Yiee explains high-dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy and how this cancer treatment delivers radiation directly to a cancerous lesion using a specially designed applicator.
July 11, 2019 - Beware of False Claims about Thermography for Breast Cancer Screening
July 10, 2019 - CHI Health Radiation Oncologist Dr. Kevin Yiee discusses prention and treatment options for Skin Cancer.
July 08, 2019 - CHI Health Neurologist Dr. Prasanna Tadi who is also an assistant professor at Creighton University's School of Medicine is studying whether more time with patients means happier docs.
July 05, 2019 - Nitrous Oxide is now available for pain relief during labor at Good Life Birth Place and the Maternity Center at St. Elizabeth.