Dr. Vavricek Presented with Physician Excellence Award
April 01, 2019
CHI Health St. Francis recognized several outstanding physicians for their excellent work in the medical community on Wednesday, March 27.
Dr. Joe Vavricek was presented with the annual Physician Excellence Award for 2019. Dr. Vavricek works in interventional radiology with Grand Island Radiology Associates.
Here are some excerpts from nomination letters written for Dr. Vavricek:
"Dr. Vavricek exemplifies reverence in his interactions with our health care team. He is always professional and respectful — his calm demeanor puts nursing staff at ease and this ultimately improves communication and safety around the procedures being carried out."
"Dr. Vavricek is honest and well-respected and trusted. He is compassionate and his patients clearly matter to him. He shows concern for their comfort and he really takes all the time necessary to explain information clearly to alleviate any anxiety. Beyond the interaction at the time the procedure, he cares enough to ask how they are doing long after the episode — in a very caring manner. His work isn’t just business as usual."
"Excellence in clinical care is part of Dr. Vavricek’s commitment to our patients. He demonstrates this by his involvement in our stroke team, discussing ways in which we can improve the care we provide, specifically addressing the timing and prioritization of imaging studies when time is critical for stroke patients. His collaborative approach provides a collegial experience for the health care team, which interacts with him. This is something that is not experienced often enough today in health care."
- Other nominees for the 2019 Physician Excellence Award included:
- Isaac Berg, MD — Internal Medicine, NE Medicine Internal Medical Associates
- Corey Blackburn, DPM — Podiatry, Prairie Foot and Ankle
- Matthew Brennan, MD — Obstetrics/Gynecology, Grand Island Clinic
- Michael Donner, MD — Internal Medicine, NE Medicine Internal Medical Associates
- Erich Fruehling, MD — Interventional Cardiology, Nebraska Heart Institute
- Steve Husen, MD — Family Medicine, Family Practice of Grand Island
- Melissa Law, MD — Pediatrics, Grand Island Clinic
- Manoj Suryanarayanan, MD — Internal Medicine, Inpatient Medicine Services
- Ken Vettel, MD — Family Medicine, Family Practice of Grand Island
Previous winners include: Dr. Michael McGahan (2008), Dr. M. Sitki Copur (2009), Dr. John Cannella (2010), Dr. Timothy Gardner (2011), Dr. Richard Fruehling (2012), Dr. Kim Mickels (2013), Dr. Jennifer Brown (2014), Dr. Corey Ohlson (2015), Dr. Thomas Nabity (2016), Dr. Jiri Brabec (2017) and Dr. Ryan Ramaekers (2018).
March 30, 1933, was the first observance of Doctors’ Day in Winder, Georgia. In 1991, National Doctors’ Day was proclaimed by President George Bush.