Vaping and Juuling: A Trend on Fire
August 28, 2018
Originally marketed as an alternative to cigarettes, vaping and e-cigarettes have caught fire with kids. In fact, e-cigarette use tripled in middle and high school students from 2013 to 2015.
Five fast facts:
- “Vaping” is the act of puffing on an e-cigarette. E-cigarettes are also called e-hookahs, mods, vape pens and Juuls.
- A Juul (“jewel”) is an e-cigarette that’s small – sometimes resembling a flash drive – and popular because kids can sneak puffs during class.
- Almost all e-cigarette products contain nicotine, which is addictive and can disrupt brain development in young people. One Juul cartridge can have as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes.
- E-liquids used in e-cigarettes have been marketed to resemble kid-friendly products like juice boxes, candy and cookies.
- The Centers for Disease Control has stated that e-cigarettes can contain cancer-causing agents, heavy metals like lead and volatile organic compounds.
More from this issue:
- Pressure Doesn’t Make Perfect: Beware Sky-High Expectations
- Rude, Mean or Worse? Always Take the Kind Road
- Helicopter No More: Be Present without Hovering
- When Those Facebook Friends Aren’t Your Friends After All
- Teen Suicide: An Alarming Trend
- Cutting: An Explainer
- Empower Your Kids to Handle Peer Pressure
- Simple Ways to Break the Silence – Conversation Starters
- Mood Swings, Aggression, Depression – It’s Not a Phase
- Mental Illness: 10 Warning Signs
- Set Limits for Strong Kids
- Under Your Influence: Parents Play Vital Role in Kids’ Alcohol, Drug Use
- Vaping and Juuling: A Trend on Fire
- Building Kids Up: The Parents' Role
- Why Doesn’t Anyone Like Me?
- Trophy-Free Self-Esteem: Get It with Grit
- Break Free: Releasing Anxiety's Grip
March 20, 2019 - The wellness center at CHI Health Good Samaritan has been providing healthy opportunities for 20 years.
March 20, 2019 - Those in Kearney or Grand Island interested in learning about health care careers can apply for this program.
March 18, 2019 - Join us for the 2019 Midlands Health Fair for free and low cost health screenings and more.
March 15, 2019 - Colorectal cancer is the third most frequently diagnosed cancer in men and women. CHI Health Good Samaritan offers free cancer screening kits.
March 14, 2019 - Sidewalk Marathon is CHI Health's annual walking program that encourages everyone to walk a marathon over the course of 30 days!