Helicopter No More: Be Present without Hovering
August 28, 2018
Let children set their own goals and timelines. Ask: “What do you want to accomplish today/this week?” Guide them in an age-appropriate way.
- Ask open-ended questions. “What’s going on tonight with your homework?” not “Do you have homework?”
- Have conversations that aren’t face-to-face, such as in the car or while preparing dinner.
- Pause to hear what kids say. Sometimes small comments signal a larger truth. “I’m tired of this” can mean more than routine weariness.
- Embrace disappointment as a character-building experience. “Sometimes we have to fall down gracefully and figure out how to get back up,” said Karen Williams, LIMHP, CHI Health mental health therapist.
- Give kids time to just be. “We are human beings, not human doings,” Williams said.
More from this issue:
- Pressure Doesn’t Make Perfect: Beware Sky-High Expectations
- Rude, Mean or Worse? Always Take the Kind Road
- Helicopter No More: Be Present without Hovering
- Mood Swings, Aggression, Depression – It’s Not a Phase
- Set Limits for Strong Kids
- Under Your Influence: Parents Play Vital Role in Kids’ Alcohol, Drug Use
- Vaping and Juuling: A Trend on Fire
- Building Kids Up: The Parents' Role
- When Those Facebook Friends Aren’t Your Friends After All
- Cutting: An Explainer
- Why Doesn’t Anyone Like Me?
- Teen Suicide: An Alarming Trend
- Trophy-Free Self-Esteem: Get It with Grit
- Empower Your Kids to Handle Peer Pressure
- Simple Ways to Break the Silence – Conversation Starters
- Mental Illness: 10 Warning Signs
- Break Free: Releasing Anxiety's Grip
October 10, 2019 - A new advantage plan is giving patients more options when it comes to Medicare.
October 09, 2019 - Trauma survivor reunited with the level I trauma team that saved her life.
October 08, 2019 - It’s important to look before you leap into Medicare. The options can be daunting – especially at first glance. Start by learning the ropes: Eligibility, Elements and Enrollment – plus Expertise to help you find your way.
October 08, 2019 - About one in 10 Americans is diabetic, one in three is prediabetic. Seniors need to watch for symptoms.
October 08, 2019 - Probiotics are live bacteria that replenish the good bacteria in your gut, which may aid in digestion.