Helicopter No More: Be Present without Hovering
August 28, 2018
Let children set their own goals and timelines. Ask: “What do you want to accomplish today/this week?” Guide them in an age-appropriate way.
- Ask open-ended questions. “What’s going on tonight with your homework?” not “Do you have homework?”
- Have conversations that aren’t face-to-face, such as in the car or while preparing dinner.
- Pause to hear what kids say. Sometimes small comments signal a larger truth. “I’m tired of this” can mean more than routine weariness.
- Embrace disappointment as a character-building experience. “Sometimes we have to fall down gracefully and figure out how to get back up,” said Karen Williams, LIMHP, CHI Health mental health therapist.
- Give kids time to just be. “We are human beings, not human doings,” Williams said.
More from this issue:
- Pressure Doesn’t Make Perfect: Beware Sky-High Expectations
- Rude, Mean or Worse? Always Take the Kind Road
- Helicopter No More: Be Present without Hovering
- When Those Facebook Friends Aren’t Your Friends After All
- Teen Suicide: An Alarming Trend
- Cutting: An Explainer
- Empower Your Kids to Handle Peer Pressure
- Simple Ways to Break the Silence – Conversation Starters
- Mood Swings, Aggression, Depression – It’s Not a Phase
- Mental Illness: 10 Warning Signs
- Set Limits for Strong Kids
- Under Your Influence: Parents Play Vital Role in Kids’ Alcohol, Drug Use
- Vaping and Juuling: A Trend on Fire
- Building Kids Up: The Parents' Role
- Why Doesn’t Anyone Like Me?
- Trophy-Free Self-Esteem: Get It with Grit
- Break Free: Releasing Anxiety's Grip
December 23, 2019 - Suffer No More! Innovative Procedure Relieves Fibroid and BPH Symptoms. Embolization is a technique which offers a safe alternative to medications and major surgery
December 18, 2019 - The CHI Health Regional Cancer Center at St. Francis hospital has been chosen to join the Cancer Moonshot program.
December 13, 2019 - CHI Health St. Francis invites the public to help celebrate the opening of their new cancer center.
December 12, 2019 - A new artist's work is being added to CHI Health Good Samaritan's Walkway Gallery.
December 04, 2019 - Artificial intelligence is helping to speed up the time it takes to diagnose stroke patients.