Four month accelerated Extended Internship – one unit of CPE (part-time)
The accelerated extended internship is a seventeen week, part-time program that is offered twice a year (Winter/Spring and Summer/Fall). Typical. It is primarily designed for clergy and qualified lay persons seeking additional training in pastoral ministry with the sick and/or hospital chaplaincy. Second career students in alternative seminary education tracks also participate in the extended internship.
Upcoming Programs & Locations
- CHI Health St. Elizabeth, Lincoln NE (August 20 - December 10, 2018)
- CHI Health McAuley Fogelstrom Center, Omaha NE (January 7 - May 13, 2019) Application Deadline: October 15th, 2018.
Program learning and service expectations
- Provide supervised, volunteer pastoral ministry to patients (15 hours/week).
- On-site on-call duty with peers and chaplain associates (minimum four 15-1/2 hour shifts).
- Participate in all educational sessions including verbatim seminars, patient care conferences, peer group, didactics, clinical simulations, and individual supervision.
- Design and lead at least two Sunday morning worship services
Written assignments include:
- Verbatim reflection reports
- Narrative Theology reflections
- Final self-evaluation
- Extended interns do not receive a stipend.
CHI Health Clinical Pastoral Education programs follows the standards and guidelines of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education. To be considered for admission, applicants must:
- Completed ACPE application with three current references
- Submit application fee of $25 payable to CHI Health
- Be invited to participate in an admissions screening interview
- Be a high school graduate, possess a GED
Tuition and Fees
- Nonrefundable application fee – $25
- Nonrefundable tuition deposit at acceptance – $100
- Tuition for the eleven-week summer internship – $750 per unit (less tuition deposit)
*Additional expenses for immunizations and background checks may apply
Extended Interns have had the following career backgrounds prior to participating in CPE:
- Congregational ministry
- Customer service
- Drug and alcohol counseling
- Elementary education
- Farming and livestock management
- Financial services
- Fund-raising and development
- Insurance sales
- Journalism and freelance writing
- Law enforcement
- Military service
- Religious education
- Restaurant management