Four month accelerated Extended Internship – one unit of CPE (part-time)
The accelerated extended internship is a seventeen week, part-time program that is offered twice a year (Winter/Spring and Summer/Fall). Typical. It is primarily designed for clergy and qualified lay persons seeking additional training in pastoral ministry with the sick and/or hospital chaplaincy. Second career students in alternative seminary education tracks also participate in the extended internship.
Upcoming Programs & Locations
- CHI Health McAuley Fogelstrom Center, Omaha NE (Sept. 16, 2019 - May 4, 2020) Application Deadline: June 1, 2019.
- Lincoln, NE (Sept 16, 2019 - May 4, 2020) Application Deadline June 1, 2019 (Lincoln program will be offered if Omaha Extended Internship is full and there is sufficient interest in this Lincoln extended internship.)
Program learning and service expectations
- Provide supervised, volunteer pastoral ministry to patients (15 hours/week).
- On-site on-call duty with peers and chaplain associates (minimum four 15-1/2 hour shifts).
- Participate in all educational sessions including verbatim seminars, patient care conferences, peer group, didactics, clinical simulations, and individual supervision.
- Design and lead at least two Sunday morning worship services
Written assignments include:
- Verbatim reflection reports
- Narrative Theology reflections
- Final self-evaluation
- Extended interns do not receive a stipend.
CHI Health Clinical Pastoral Education programs follows the standards and guidelines of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education. To be considered for admission, applicants must:
- Completed ACPE application with three current references
- Submit application fee of $25 payable to CHI Health
- Be invited to participate in an admissions screening interview
- Be a high school graduate, possess a GED
Tuition and Fees
- Nonrefundable application fee – $25
- Nonrefundable tuition deposit at acceptance – $100
- Tuition for the eleven-week summer internship – $750 per unit (less tuition deposit)
*Additional expenses for immunizations and background checks may apply
Extended Interns have had the following career backgrounds prior to participating in CPE:
- Congregational ministry
- Customer service
- Drug and alcohol counseling
- Elementary education
- Farming and livestock management
- Financial services
- Fund-raising and development
- Insurance sales
- Journalism and freelance writing
- Law enforcement
- Military service
- Religious education
- Restaurant management