LINX Reflux Management System
Millions of Americans suffering from GERD now have a new, safe and effective treatment alternative. The LINX System is a small, flexible band of magnets enclosed in titanium beads. The magnetic attraction between the beads helps keep a weak esophageal sphincter closed to prevent reflux. The LINX System is implanted around the weak sphincter just above the stomach in a minimally invasive procedure that typically takes less than one hour.
How LINX Works
LINX is designed to stop reflux at its source. GERD is a caused by a mechanical defect and requires a mechanical solution. The LINX System is a small, flexible band of magnets enclosed in titanium beads. The beads are connected by titanium wires. The LINX System is implanted around the weak esophageal sphincter, just above the stomach. The magnetic attraction between the beads keeps the weak esophageal sphincter closed to help prevent reflux. Swallowing forces separate the beads temporarily to allow food and liquid to pass into the stomach. LINX is implanted laparoscopically in a minimally invasive procedure that typically takes less than one hour. Patients generally go home within one day.
- LINX is the only available FDA-approved device for the treatment of GERD
An FDA advisory panel voted unanimously in favor of the LINX System's safety, efficacy and clinical benefit. This positive vote was followed by FDA approval on March 22, 2012.
- LINX study results appeared in New England Journal of Medicine
The 3 year results of a 5-year clinical study assessed 100 patients with chronic GERD before and after treatment with the LINX System.
- Results from the clinical study showed that after treatment with the LINX System:
- 91 percent of patients achieved freedom from daily GERD medication
- 92 percent of patients achieved signifi cant symptom improvement
- 100 percent of patients eliminated severe regurgitation
- 99 percent of patients eliminated daily sleep disruption due to heartburn
- 94 percent of patients were satisfi ed with their overall condition
Call 402-717-4837 to schedule an appointment.