Healthy Families Classes
Healthy Families is a free health and nutrition program for families with children and teens who want to live healthier, more active lives - TOGETHER.
If your child is between the ages of 6 and 18, and you or your child's healthcare provider have expressed a concern about their weight, your entire household is invited to join Healthy Families. We can coordinate the required doctor's referral for you.
During each 90-minute class, you'll sample and learn how to make easy and budget-friendly snacks. You'll also get moving together by playing fun games.
Any child or teenager (ages 6-18) whose Body Mass Index is greater than the 85th percentile for age and gender. The child must attend classes with at least one adult family member or guardian, but the entire family is encouraged to attend.
Locations and Times
There are several Healthy Families class locations to choose from, with more to be added. Each location has a YMCA nearby.
Omaha - North
CHI Health Lakeside (168th and Center)
Omaha - South
Benefits for Families
- Get advice from Registered Dietitians, Behavioral Health Therapists, and trained Physical Activity Specialists
- Improve your family’s health and quality of life
- Learn how to eat healthy on a budget
- Have fun while being physically active as a family
- Learn how to set family goals to make healthy choices together
- A $50 HyVee gift card after completing the class
- Free 8-week family membership to the YMCA
If you choose to continue your membership, your membership cost may be reduced, and there's no initiation fee.
Sponsorship & Partners
Healthy Families is sponsored by CHI Health, and the Salvation Army Kroc Center.
Partners: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension, Charles Drew Health Center, One World Community Health Center, Hy-Vee, the Greater Omaha YMCA.